Gallery & Shop Terms & Conditions
5 Jul 2022
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
FOR SUBMISSION OF WORK FOR SSW GALLERY AND SHOP
Sou’-Sou’-West Gallery & Shop, Symondsbury is run by Lyme Bay Arts CIC, a not for profit registered Community Interest Company, registration no. 5402004.
For the purposes of these terms and conditions, SSW and LBA should be regarded as one and the same.
We are very pleased that you will be collaborating with Sou’-Sou’-West Gallery & Shop.
Further to any previous discussions and for the benefit of both parties, we have set out the following conditions between you and Sou’-Sou’-West Gallery & Shop. All artists/exhibitors must read and acknowledge these General Terms and Conditions before delivery of work. The signing of the Submission Form is to be taken as the acceptance of the contents of these terms.
- Sou’-Sou’-West Gallery & Shop is open to anyone who creates original work.
- All work must be for sale whether in the gallery, shop or online.
- All work must be delivered to the gallery on the agreed date and time, or by special arrangement.
- There is no limit on size of work, but for guidance contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- All artwork must be ready to hang with appropriate D-rings and string or other hanging arrangements. You may supply racks, risers, jewellery stands, hangers, or other display accessories for 3D items but please label them to ensure their safe return to you.
- All work must be clearly labelled, on baggage labels if possible, with the artist's name, title of work, medium and price of work which includes any commission. Where multiple items are submitted to SSW Shop, please provide a complete stock list with your Submission Form on a Delivery Note including descriptions, prices (including commission) and the number of items of each design that you deliver.
- All works not displayed or hung will be stored as deemed appropriate by the curator. Artists must provide adequate packaging for storage clearly marked with your name on the outside of the wrapping.
- All works must be an original creation by the artist.
- It is the artist's responsibility to insure their work if required. There is public liability insurance cover for the gallery and shop.
- Exhibited work will be professionally handled and curated. There is no restriction on size, but please inform us if your pieces are over one square metre or form an installation. Any unhung work will be made available to replace any work sold and taken away, at the discretion of the curator.
- In SSW Gallery Shop, work is professionally handled and curated. The pieces hung are at the discretion of the curator. In the shop, the arrangement of accepted work is decided by the Shop Managers, although your specific display instructions (e.g. glass in window, jewellery in a locked cabinet) will be taken into account.
- Due to high turnover and time constraints, not all work is published for sale on our website. The Shop Managers and curator will decide which work is published on www.sousouwest.co.uk.
- Submission of new works for SSW Shop will be considered on Mondays or Tuesdays, or by arrangement with the Shop Managers. Do not ‘drop off’ new work at the gallery without arranging to meet a Shop Manager or the curator to accept submission, as we may not accept it, and then cannot guarantee its security.
- The number of items supplied to SSW Shop must be agreed with the Shop Managers, on a sale or return basis.
- Collection of unsold work must be confirmed/by arrangement with the gallery.
All sales made through the exhibition or in the SSW Shop are sold between the Sou’-Sou’-West Gallery on behalf of Lyme Bay Arts CIC and the buyer. Lyme Bay Arts CIC is not registered for VAT and this will not be charged to the artist. If the artist is registered for VAT , and the purchaser requires a VAT invoice, the issue of a VAT invoice will be the responsibility of the artist.
All sales will be subject to our returns policy (available on our website). Any returns requested by a buyer after 28 days from the purchase date will be referred back to the artist.
A commission will be charged on the price paid for the work sold in the gallery and the shop. This is detailed on your Submission Form.
Any sale effected by Sou’-Sou’-West Gallery & Shop will have priority over a sale effected by the artist. If work sells immediately prior to, or after the closure of a show, or was viewed on our website or one of our social media platforms, we would appreciate a courtesy commission for initiating the transaction.
Sou’-Sou’-West Gallery & Shop reserves the right to take down any work that has sold.
Sou’-Sou’-West Gallery & Shop reserve the right to withhold from exhibiting any work submitted without giving any reason.
Sou’-Sou’-West Gallery & Shop reserve the right to take down any items sold and replace them with other works.
All exhibiting artists and shop suppliers should provide bank details to Wil Benson, Finance Director, Lyme Bay Arts: email@example.com for payment of sales
All works of art must be for sale in the gallery, SSW Shop and/or online. The price of the works stated on the Submission Form or Delivery Note should include the agreed commission.
You must avoid conflict of interest by making your own direct sales at the same retail price regardless of sales venue, so pricing stays consistent and undercutting cannot occur.
PLEASE NOTE: Artists are completely responsible for the correct pricing of their work and should check their Submission Form or Delivery Note in advance to make sure prices are accurate. Works will be sold at the prices listed on your Submission Form or Delivery Note with no exceptions.
Pre-agreed authorisation to negotiate a sales price can help us sell your work. It is helpful to indicate any discounts on your Submission Form if you are happy for us to negotiate on your behalf.
Sou’-Sou’-West Gallery & Shop will not be liable for any loss or damage caused to sold works during the delivery. Postage, packaging and insurance is an additional cost to the buyer. For work valued at £300 or higher, we will liaise with the customer and the artist to organise the most appropriate delivery method.
Copyright of all works other than commissioned work, remains the property of the artist. Any enquiries for copyright will be referred to the artist. Any photographs of the installed/hung work taken by the gallery staff or commissioned photographers working for the gallery belong to the gallery. Similarly the gallery holds the copyright for any creative shots of the work in the gallery setting. While we are very happy to share these images with the artist at no cost, we ask that you offer us a courtesy credit to help us grow the gallery’s reputation.
If you do not wish the public to be allowed to photograph your work when visiting the gallery or shop, you must advise us to display notices top this effect. However, we cannot be held liable if someone contravenes this request.
PHOTOGRAPHS & PROMOTION
Artists accept and agree that all works in the exhibition may be reproduced (with full credit) for press, publicity, promotion and advertising of Sou’-Sou’-West Gallery & Shop and Lyme Bay Arts CIC. We may sometimes wish to share images of work after an exhibition has finished or work has sold: please inform us if you would prefer us not to do so.
We will lead the promotion of the exhibition and will oversee the design, layout, content, printing and distribution of promotional material and will meet the cost thereof. To enable good publicity, please provide a short biography and how you would like your work described. Please provide PR/press information that is requested for promotional purposes by the time schedule requested. Good quality images in .jpg format should also be supplied as soon as possible.
We aim to achieve synergy between the artist’s brand and the gallery and shop brand. We politely request mutual support on social media platforms. We will never make negative online comments and we request all artists reciprocate our positivity.
CARE OF WORKS AND INSURANCE
Sou’-Sou’-West Gallery & Shop will not be liable for any loss or damage caused to works during the delivery of work or in the ordinary course of handling by our staff. Work is submitted at the artist’s own risk, and we recommend the artist arrange their own fine art insurance. The gallery and shop carry no alternate insurance, except Public Liability. Sou’-Sou’-West Gallery & Shop will take good care of the works but in the event of any work being lost, destroyed or damaged, other than as previously stated, our liability is limited to no more than the sale price of the item, less the pre-agreed commission.
We have limited storage available and are unable to hold your work before the set drop off date or after the set collection date. Exceptions must be agreed with gallery staff.
If we have asked to retain your artwork it will be stored and protected in an appropriate fashion, dependent upon the medium, until it is displayed. Your work may be stored in the SSW Gallery or Shop.
We have insurance for fire, theft and flood but accidental damage during storage is not indemnified. Artists should always take out their own fine art insurance if leaving their work in storage for any length of time.
Sou’-Sou’-West and Lyme Bay Arts CIC holds personal data provided by artists submitting work. This information will be used solely for the purpose of promoting, communicating about, invoicing and paying for your work. In submitting work, artists agree they will be added to the mailing lists of Sou’-Sou’-West and Lyme Bay Arts CIC, from which it is possible to unsubscribe at any time.
EXHIBITION AND SALE OF WORK
It is our aim to exhibit all works submitted, but this is at the discretion of the curator and Shop Managers. Their decisions are final. Should the artist prematurely withdraw from an exhibition then administration fees will not be refunded and we may seek compensation for lost revenue.
Sou’-Sou’-West Gallery & Shop agrees to:
- Maintain accurate records of all work supplied and sold in the gallery, shop and online
- Produce collateral materials, such as artwork labels, artist’s statements, and catalogues of work, to support sales.
- Sell all items at pre-agreed prices (including commission)
- Make payments of sales (less commission) direct to your bank account within 4-6 weeks of sale (taking into account the normal policy of accepting returns within 28 days)
- Act as an intermediary between artist and customer for 28 days following any purchase.
- Supply details of your sales at the time of payment or as agreed with Finance Director
- Provide Public Liability Insurance for the Gallery/Shop (limited cover for individual items)
- Normally keep gallery/shop open from 10.30-4.30 daily (times may change seasonally and we cannot be held responsible for unplanned gallery or shop closure due to circumstances beyond our control)